For many sleep centers, COVID-19 caused a shift from mostly PSGs to growth in HSATs. Disposables, drop-ship and curbside pick up options increased the convenience of providing qualified patients access to HSATs. However, many clinics still have trouble getting those patients into the clinic to return the device and receive their results and treatment. Sleep centers face similar challenges with patients requiring in-lab testing. The fear of COVID-19 exposure, inconvenience of added protocols and processes, and undervaluing the significance of proper testing and treatment has led to an increase in appointment cancelations and patient no shows over the past year. To help sleep centers overcome this challenge, we created a list of seven tips that can be easily implemented in your clinic to encourage patients to keep their appointments and minimize no shows at your sleep center.
1. Send Text RemindersImplement a patient engagement solution that includes the option to send patients text reminders for various steps in the testing process. These messages can be useful for:
- Communicating protocols and check-in processes for the day of the appointment
- Setting expectations for in-lab testing
- Providing instructions for a successful HSAT experience and outcome
- Asking patients to bring the HSAT device back to the office after home testing is complete
- Reminding patients of their follow-up appointment with the clinician for results and treatment.
- Periodically checking in with the patient on adherence